Legal marijuana usage for treating common ailments is becoming more popular across the world. People around the world are slowly starting to accept this plant for its real benefits. This step helped rescue the plant from the perception of a drug to a medicinal plant. Marijuana has shown promising progress for patients suffering from problems such as chronic pain, depression, anxiety, PTSD. This further interests scientists to explore more benefits of the plant, which led them to use medical marijuana for the treatment of chronic ailments such as heart problems, cancer, diabetes. While the research is still under progress, promising results have turned out under controlled laboratory conditions. These steps indicate the possibility of marijuana-based treatments for various ailments to enter mainstream medicine.
Marijuana and Heart problems
Among the various ailments, heart problems and their response to marijuana have been a hot topic for quite some time now. There is a range of issues that can affect your heart. While heart diseases is an umbrella term, there are various classifications within such as blood vessel-related, coronary artery disease, heart rhythm problems, and heart defects which people might be born with. Heart problems also commonly referred to as Cardiovascular disorders are conditions such as a blockage in blood vessels, chest pain, stroke, heart attack. There are several reasons for cardiovascular diseases that include unhealthy eating habits, lifestyle choices, genetic defects, cholesterol, blood pressure. Marijuana can be useful in treating some of these conditions. Also, it can improve the overall health of your heart and ensure you live a happy and healthy life.
Marijuana interaction with the body
Marijuana consists of two main cannabidiol components known as THC and CBD. The different strains, such as Indica or Sativa cannabis, have varying levels of these cannabidiols that help treat problems in the body. THC or tetrahydrocannabinol and CBD or cannabidiol interact with the CB1 and CB2 receptors of the endocannabinoid system in the body. These receptors are responsible for controlling chemicals in the body that help the various organs to function. The vital organs such as the heart, brain, liver, vascular muscle cells, consist of CB1 receptors, whereas, CB2 receptors are mostly present in the immune cells. The interaction of cannabinoids, such as THC with the immune system is thus responsible for various benefits possible from marijuana.
Current research shows that THC imitates the function of the anandamide in the body, that helps relax blood vessels and increase blood fluidity. A report published in 2017 by Medical press based on a study at the University of Hawaii suggests that cannabis can reverse heart problems at the cellular level and improve your heart health.
Marijuana and Benefits to Heart
Cannabis can be enough to curb various ailments that lead to heart problems. This way, it can improve your heart health and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- It can help balance your blood pressure: Fluctuation and increase in blood pressure levels in the body are among the leading causes of cardiovascular diseases across the world. Statistics indicate that one out of three adults in the U.S suffers from high blood pressure. Hypertension in individuals can cause dizziness, nausea, headache, blurry vision, and increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases. The blood starts pressing too hard at the artery walls, and this could cause permanent damage to the arteries, which in turn could influence the functioning of various organs. High blood pressure could lead to conditions such as blood clots and such occurring in the heart could lead to blockage.
But recent research suggests that marijuana can be beneficial to balance blood pressure levels in the body. Studies show that prolonged usage of marijuana is small doses can increase tolerance in the body towards the substance and lower your heart rate and blood pressure. Research-based on user feedback suggests that marijuana can help maintain healthy blood pressure levels in individuals. A recent report [R1] published by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism concludes that endocannabinoids present in cannabis can suppress cardiac contractility in hypertension, and this type of targeted treatment can help relieve hypertension.
- It can help eliminate the bad cholesterol from the body: There are two types of cholesterol in the body. The good cholesterol or HDL is important for the body to synthesize vitamin D, hormones, and other chemicals to help digestion. It also helps eliminate deposits of LDL. Bad cholesterol or LDL, on the other hand, leads to storage of fat in the body, thus putting pressure on your heart. This type of cholesterol accumulates in the arteries, thus increasing stress on the walls, causing them to block eventually. This effect increases the risk of heart attacks or strokes. A study conducted in 2013 aims to understand the relationship between Cannabis use and cholesterol levels in the body. The study indicates that cannabis can reduce LDL levels while maintaining HDL levels, which can be beneficial for the body.
- It can help you during conditions such as diabetes: Diabetes is a significant health problem that can elevate the risk of various other ailments such as strokes. People who have diabetes often find themselves in a tricky spot as the condition increase the intensity of problems in the body. Also, diabetes tends to increase LDL levels in the body, while simultaneously decreasing HDL levels, which could double the risk of cardiovascular problems. Research conducted for diabetes care at BMJ open shows that chronic cannabis users indicate elevated levels of good cholesterol, whereas the levels of bad cholesterol remain unchanged. This study indicates that the use of marijuana, along with a proper diet, can help reduce the risk of heart problems.
- It can help manage your weight: Overweight or obesity is yet another common cause for heart-related problems across the world. Our changing lifestyle choices and eating habits influence our weight. Although there are various diet and treatment options available for coping with the condition, natural means to reduce weight and eliminate the toxic fat from your body is important. Also, weight reduction and proper diet management are important for patients with existing heart conditions to keep the body in balance. Marijuana is an effective aid to reduce weight. Consuming hemp,Cannabis seeds and marijuana seeds can be effective to reduce cravings. The seeds are nutritious and filling at the same time. This effect helps us from overeating or consuming junk food.
- It can reduce stress and anxiety: Stress and anxiety are mental health conditions that have lasting effects on the mind and body. Chronic stress and anxiety problems can put your body in a state of chemical imbalance. People who suffer from anxiety problem have fluctuating levels of adrenaline in the body. When your body begins to produce too much adrenaline very often, the natural levels could start shooting up. High adrenaline levels affect the mind and heart as your body is in a constant sense of high alertness. Cannabis component CBD can help relax the body and mind without causing any psychoactive effects, which can be beneficial to enhance your overall health. Strains like sativa have a more calming effect whereas strains like OG kush have a lasting and strong effect.
The growing body of research in the field of medical marijuana promises hope for improved prevention and treatment methods for heart diseases using the plant. The various health benefits of the plant also suggest that it can enhance heart health naturally.